The White House has released its new budget request, and along with it the President's new drug control budget. This time around, the President is requesting $25,393,200,000 for drug control programs. Of that, $10,670,300,000, or 42 percent of the total – is designated as demand reduction spending. That means treatment, education, and prevention. The remaining 58 percent, or $14,722,900,000, is for supply reduction – law enforcement, interdiction, and international programs such as the Caribbean Basin Security Initiative and the Central American Regional Security Initiative.
Following is the transcript of an audio news story written and produced by Drug War Facts Editor Doug McVay for the Drug Truth Network. It was broadcast as a 420 Drug War News segment on April 13, 2013.
What you find depends on who you're looking for.
A new report has been released by the Center for Investigative Reporting on smuggling over the US's southwestern border with Mexico. According to the CIR, quote:
Following is the transcript of an audio news story written and produced by Drug War Facts Editor Doug McVay for the Drug Truth Network. It was broadcast on April 6, 2013, as a 420 Drug War News segment.
Following is a report written and produced for the Drug Truth Network by Drug War Facts Editor Doug McVay. It was broadcast as a 420 Drug War News item on March 24, 2013. You can listen to the full audio via the Drug Truth Network website.
Issue In Focus: Pain Management
Pain management is the point at which healthcare and the drug war collide. Physicians, policy makers, and law enforcement struggle to find the right balance between delivering proper, adequate care, and preventing diversion, addiction, and abuse. Sadly, in the end the people in the middle – the patients – are the ones who suffer.
According to most estimates, a large percentage of the population suffers from pain. According to the federal Institute of Medicine, “Relieving Pain in America: A Blueprint for Transforming Prevention, Care, Education, and Research”: